The Hidden Genius Project, an organization that trains and mentors black male youth in technology creation, entrepreneurship, and leadership skills, has partnered with Uber to offer a program that will help young men take their skills to the next level.
The yearlong program consists of bimonthly three-hour workshops. According to the organization’s website, topics will vary for each session covering a range of competencies such as technical interview skills, insights into how top engineers succeed, communication and self-marketing skills, engineering competencies, and so much more.
Homework assignments are included in the program to expand on learning from workshops, and prepare for the upcoming session. The program will include one-on-one mentorship from Uber engineers, and members of Uber’s black employee resource group will be on deck helping out where needed.
Where will instruction be delivered? This isn’t set in stone yet, as the Hidden Genius Project is waiting to see where the participants are located. Some instruction is said to take place at the Uber HQ in San Francisco, but they will also make use of their New York office and virtual classrooms as needed.
Who will cover expenses? For those outside of San Francisco and New York, Uber will cover all expenses in the event that travel and lodging are needed.
What qualifies candidates for the program?
- College Students in a U.S.-based four-year program
- Community College Transfer Applicant (Will start a four-year program by Fall 2018)
- Majoring in Computer Science or closely related field
- Passion and drive to be successful in the tech industry
What is the timeline for the application process?
- Applications Due: Jan. 26, 2018 (includes résumé, transcript, and essay questions)
- Interview Day: Feb. 3, 2018
- Program start day: Feb. 23, 2018
After submitting your application, the Hidden Genius Project suggests you study the following topics to prep for the technical interview:
- Understanding of common data structures—arrays, lists, trees, graphs, maps/dictionaries—and how to use them (Data Structures Explained and Example Questions)
- Basic analysis of Big O and runtime complexity (Big O Explained and Example Questions)
In addition, they have included some popular resources for technical interview prep, which include:
- Cracking the Coding Interview
- Coderust 2.0
For more information click here.
The post Hidden Genius Project Partners with Uber to Prepare College Engineers for Jobs appeared first on Black Enterprise.